NIU Buffet in Town

by - October 16, 2014

Reinventing the buffet concept in the country to match those in the international scene is NIU by Vikings. The stylish, elegant restaurant is located on the 6th floor of SM Aura Premiere and offers an upscale dining experience fit for the rich and famous.

Thanks to the Blogapalooza 2014 I was able to experience, a little, of what it feels like to dine here. NIU offered a tour of the restaurant between services (lunch and dinner) for bloggers who signed up at their booth at the event.

Marketing Director Charles Stewart Lee at the NIU booth at Blogapalooza
A glimpse of what you can eat at NIU

NIU, the Viking word for nine, delights with an array of meals from grilled seafood, roasted meats, Japanese and Chinese cuisines, and pastries.

Sushi and maki at the Japanese station

More Japanese goodness

I love the chalkboard sign

Seafood grill station. Yuh-uh-mmy!

For dessert (my favorite), they have soft-serve ice cream, gelato, milk and white chocolate fountains, mini-cakes, and fruits.

Milk and white chocolate fountain with the fun stuff you can dip in it

Bluberry cheesecake with strawberry on top

Mango pastry with a delicious fruit pastille on top

For drinks, they serve cocktails, sub-zero draft beer, several juices, soda, and wine. Yes. Wine. In unlimited supply.

Below zero draft beer

Recipe for disaster (hangover)

The bar with cocktail recipes and a selection of wine
 
Being a coffee lover, I remember noticing that they have 2 espresso machines that automatically grinds fresh beans and makes you espresso. They also have a variety of Twinings tea.

Espresso machine 1

An array of Twinings tea

Espresso machine 2

The tour NIU prepared for bloggers lasted just a few minutes, and at the end, we were given a chance to taste a few of their appetizers and desserts. Woohoo! I wasn't expecting it though, I just thought we'd go through a tour--which was a little bit disorganized--and that's it.

Plush chairs and elegant decor all around

Table setting for 4

I want to bring this home :(

It's all in the details, y'all

The piano at the heart of the restaurant


Here's my plate. First, the ones of the black serving dishes (counter clockwise order): Gindara Teriyaki (fish) on a slice of carrot; Lechon Macau with mustard and cucumber (a surprising and delicious mix of flavor I want to try with a regular lechon); Stromboli with some sweet cheese and ham (i think) on a creamy sauce; and super yummy Sushi.


There's the Mango pastry whose green tea bottom keeps getting left behind and wouldn't stick with the rest of the cake. It was ok. Nothing to rave about. Then the Blueberry Cheesecake, whose texture I didn't like, also tasted blah. IMHO, Sara Lee's tasted better.


The Sisig on top on the mini-baguette slice (middle of the plate) was also yummy. I should've gotten more of this, but was too shy because this is just free. Then, IMO, the star of this plate, the Roast Beef with the sauce on top of a mini-baguette slice. Wow! I tasted chewy, soft roast beef with an aftertaste of wasabi. Something I've never tasted before. The sauce just completes the whole thing. It was meaty heaven. I wanted more of this. Next time, when I'm paying for my meal.

For my drink, I was debating on lemongrass and the peppermint lemon lime, but I chose peppermint, which tasted like toothpaste dissolved in water. LOL. Here's the weird part...I liked it. It was a great palate cleanser.

I wouldn't have known about NIU if wasn't for Blogapalooza because SM Aura is a little far from where I live. But I wouldn't hesitate traveling all the way here to dine at NIU with family. My sister is already intrigued and wants to try it soon.

Rates are above a thousand pesos for lunch buffet and a bit more expensive for the dinner service where they add new dishes to the menu.

You May Also Like

0 comments