Move over vampires, werewolves, and wizards - the Shadowhunters are here

by - December 22, 2009

Yes. Move over Edward, Jacob, Bill, and Harry there's a new hero in town. The Shadowhunters from Cassandra Clare's Immortal Instruments saga are here.

I've been in a book slump over the past couple of months until that day when I visited Powerbooks in Trinoma. I was just browsing around trying to decide on what book to purchase when one of the staff approached me and recommended City of Bones, the first of the Immortal Instruments series, to read. She said it was one of their bestsellers, in fact, the new stock just arrived.

I decided that I might as well try the book since I wasn't looking to buy anything in particular, and the book was just a little over 300 pesos. Luckily I did because I really liked it. I even went on to buy City of Ashes, the second book. Got even more hooked and thought of buying the hardbound edition of the third installment, City of Glass. However, the chipangga in me, and because I never ever buy hardbound books because they're too heavy to read while lying down on the bed, won and I ended up downloading the ebook version.

What I really liked about this series is that it took me to a whole new world, quite unlike the ordinary town of Forks, or Bon Temps. Here, it's not just the characters that make the story stand out. Instead a combination of well-developed characters and setting make the books an entertaining read. Plus, you get to meet a new set of "creatures" if you will. There are the Shadowhunters (the protagonists), the demons which consists of many different types (raveners, forsaken, drevak, and dragonidae to name a few), and throw in your usual werewolves and vampires into the mix and you have one hell of an adventure on your hands.


A highly recommended book for those who love this kind of genre, or if you're looking to find something to read after Harry Potter and the Twilight series.




You May Also Like

0 comments