Democracy in Action: The Philippine Elections 2010

by - May 10, 2010

I started the day with a positive outlook that today's election is going to be okay. There never was any history of violence in my precinct, and today was no different. Precincts open at 7am, and just like a kid waiting to open his/ her presents on Christmas morning, I was up before the clock read 6am.

Yes, I was excited for a couple of reasons. First, I get to be part of a historic moment - the first ever automated polls in the Philippines. More than a hundred years after the very first general elections in the country, and after a much publicized debate, we've finally pushed through with the automation of the elections. It's not everyday that I get to be part of something this big, and I will not miss it for the world!

Second, I'm excited because for the first time since I started voting, I am passionate about my candidate. Don't get me wrong, I was also into Roco when he ran for the Presidency in 2004 against Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. But not as strong as I am with Gilbert "Gibo" Teodoro, Jr.

The past 2 weeks before this day, I've done nothing but read about his policies and plans for when he becomes president. His ideals on positive campaigning has inspired a lot of people, including me. A previously apathetic citizen has finally seen the light (enter spotlight, please). And bringing that kind of change in even just one person is enough to make me believe that with him at the helm, this country can get out of the quagmire (naks, big words!) the previous administrations (read: plural) has gotten us into. Here's hoping!

Third, I'm excited to see how the nation will fare during this exercise. I want to believe that voter turnout will be much higher than previous elections. It is my hope that there will be less Filipinos who will choose to waive the power to put their future in their own hands.

Ok, enough reasons why I'm excited about this year's elections. On to my story...

So, being automated and all, I expected it to be relatively fast and hassle-free even if clustering the precincts mean more voters crammed into a tiny classroom. My mom wanted us to vote as early as possible. I wanted to vote at around 5pm because I know there will be less people. Guess who won? Yep. We were at the precinct at 7:45am.

It was easy to find our precinct because the school had a big tarp out front which tells you what room and building your precinct is. Luckily, ours was the building next to the gate and on the first floor. As soon as we got to the door a BEI (Board of Election Inspector) gave us a slip of paper with a number on it (mine said 107) and told us to fill-up it up with details - name, precinct number, and voter's list number - so it will be easy to find our names later on. Then, we were ushered into the waiting area to wait for our turn.

When we got there the queue was at number 50+. Looking at my watch, I surmised that 45 minutes at 50 people is not bad. So, I thought that it'll take another 45 minutes before I get to vote. But nooooooo. I got to vote 2 hours later. I was as patient as I could be despite the sweltering morning heat and the lack of nothing to do (because like an obedient voter, I did not bring my cellphone). I was going to endure however long it takes because I don't want to waste my vote. My vote for change. My vote for a better Philippines. My vote for the man who I believe can take on the toughest job in the land.

Finally, at around 10 am I was inside the polling precinct shading my ballot, and being careful not to go outside the borders of the hugis itlog (egg-shaped) I was to mark. Took me less than 5 minutes because I had my kodigo with me. Then, it's time for me to face the PCOS machine. I was a bit nervous that my ballot may get rejected because of something I did wrong, like shading it too much or folding the edges. And I've heard that our precinct has yet to reject a ballot. I certainly didn't want to be first.

As I fed my ballot into the machine, I waited with baited breath (wow, tongue twister) ...scanning...scanning...damn, what's taking it so long...scanning...Congratulations! Ah, relief was instantaneous and it was all I could do to keep myself from jumping and shouting, "Yes!".

It was already 10:15am when me and my dad finally got out of the school (my mom, being a senior citizen had gone on ahead of us, waiting just 15 minutes for her turn to vote). Sweating and thirsty, I asked my dad to find an ice scramble vendor. I just know there had to be one there. And there was! Yey! I bought 2 10-peso ice scrambles for me and my dad and ate it right there under the shade of a house. Hands down, it was the best thing to have on a hot day.

So, how do I rate this automated election day? 4 out of 5 stars! Yes, even with news of violence in some parts of the country and PCOS machines breaking down, I can consider this day as a success not only for the Philippines but for democracy. Hey, Smartmatic and the Commelec has 3 long years to improve on this new process and make the next elections smoother. Kudos to everyone involved.

Sulong Pilipinas!

You May Also Like

0 comments