7 Washi Brands For Your Planning, Journaling, and Crafting Needs

by - July 12, 2017



I've been journaling and planner-ing for quite a while now, and I've amassed rolls (and samples) of washi tapes and stickers to use. I'm actually running out of bins to store them that I've used empty TWG Tea macaroon boxes (they're a perfect fit!).

But what is a washi tape?

Strictly speaking, washi tapes are decorative tapes made from natural plant fibers or tree bark, such as bamboo, mulberry, or hemp. What makes them special and a crafter's delight is that they are repositionable. You can change your mind where to stick them. Plus, you can write on them. Isn't that amazeballs?!

But there are wishy washis (Ha. Ha.) and there are WOWshis. I'm listing down the best, preferred, and popular washi tape brands out there. At least those that I know of in my part of the world.

1. Recollections

Recollections washi tapes, from popular crafting store Michaels, are colorful and adorable. Designs abound, from floral and graphic patterns to motivational words and characters. They come in long and short tubes and typically have a theme. So whatever occasion or season you're writing about, there's bound to be a tube that's perfect for you.

Most tapes in the tube are about 5 meters and some are foiled and glittered.

2. Bande 



Bande is a Japanese brand selling washi tapes and sticker flakes in rolls. The tapes have less flamboyant design than Recollections, but you'll find rolls with whimsical themes.

Bande sells by the roll, and most tapes are 10 meters long. The brand amazingly came out with sticker tapes. Sticker flakes that come in a roll for ultra convenience. No glitter or foiled tapes.

3. MT

This is another Japanese brand with more whimsical designs, basic colors, and graphic patterns. Designs are usually a collaboration with different artists, such as their Nordic Countries line or Artist Series.

It comes in individually wrapped rolls and some in sets of two rolls.

4. Classiky



Yet another Japanese brand, Classiky features traditional hand-made items, including kitchen and table wares, linens, and stationery. Classiky tapes feature a range of whimsical, simple, and nature-inspired designs. I love the clean designs, and for the most part, muted colors of Classiky, which makes them perfect for layering with other washi tape designs.

Classiky tapes come in rolls, and most tapes are 10 meters long.

5. Tim Holtz

Similar to Recollections, Tim Holtz washi tapes come in tubes of about 8 rolls.There are 3-roll packs as well, if you just want to try it out first.

Tim Holtz is a crafter and designer known for his distressed inks and vintage-grunge style, which you'll notice in his washi tapes.

6. Create 365

Create 365 is the "accessories" brand for The Happy Planner. It's from Me and My Big Ideas (MAMBI), creators of The Happy Planner. It also comes in short tubes of 7 rolls and feature floral, graphic, and seasonal designs.



7. Maste

Yet another brand from Japan, (I guess they do make the best washis) Maste washi tapes feature bright colors and trendy graphical designs.

As with all washis, Maste tapes are made from natural plant fibers or rice paper, making them easy to tear by hand or write on (especially if you are using them for labels).

Bonus:
8. Simply Gilded

I first saw this on a Facebook group about planners and journals. Someone was selling this set of elegant and beautiful foiled tapes that I wanted to get my hands on. But someone already beat me to it.



I looked up the brand on the Internet. I was directed to an Etsy account and there I saw other equally gorgeous rolls of tapes. Yes. All the tapes in Simply Gilded's Etsy account are all TDF.

Prices are reasonable (10 m rolls), but my problem lies with the shipping because the goods will be coming from the US. It will take a few more hundred pesos and at least a month (probably) before I get my goods.

You May Also Like

0 comments