History of the Hotel Industry's Service Innovations

by - February 20, 2014

Working as a copywriter and editor for a service company who provides online support for accommodation providers (hotels, resorts, B&Bs, condotels, etc.) all over the world has me on the constant lookout for travel-related information and industry news.

In this infographic, we see an easily digestible history of the hotel services--considered innovations way back when they were first offered--that we now come to expect as standard. However, as one commenter from the original source site noted, there hasn't been a standard service since 1974 when the first mini-bar was introduced in a Hong Kong hotel.

Source: CNN
I haven't experienced the tablet control thing here in Manila, but I've read InterContinental and Sheraton Hotels are already offering some form of tablet service. Meanwhile, I'm not sure I'd go for tweeting my hotel reservations, as there's not much room to write whatever you need/ want the hotel to know. I would guess this would take a lot of back-and-forth conversations via Twitter.

This infographic forgot one more thing, though, even before the tablet control--which I can safely classify as a non-standard still--iPod docks in rooms. Well, maybe they didn't want to promote any brand names that's why they left it out. But I do believe this is an "innovation" service, so to speak.

You May Also Like

0 comments